Friday, July 1, 2011

Mounting Battery Charger

Oddly enough, mounting the charger was probably one of the more difficult aspects I had to deal with. Despite its compact design and footprint, this thing weighs about 40 pounds. I wanted it close to one of my two AC outlets, and figured I would have to add an extension cord to the 12" cord it came with. The weight prevented my mounting it to a few surfaces which I thought may be good options but were constructed with thinner fiberglass. While it might have worked, I wouldn't want the thing ripping a hole on a vertical surface. Like many boats, Coincidence is very tight and has limited access behind panels from where you could add reinforcement.

I was fortunate to have a cubby space underneath the chart table. A microwave is usually positioned in front of it, so it wasn't used for much other than electrical access. Maybe 2 or 3 cubic feet. I found that I could rest the unit on the floor of the space, but I did have to raise it slightly to get the louvered door to close. I also had to be sure the wire could reach the negative post of the battery bank. It was a perfect fit. Probably the only one in this project!






Charger mounted in cubby space beneath chart table. Black area behind it is the hull, starboard side. AC outlet is just to the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment