Sunday, July 3, 2011

Motor Controller Mounted

I had originally intended to mount the controller just forward of the motor on the bulkead in the engine compartment. It would've fit but wouldn't have had enough free area to access it. I've opted to install two aluminum rails in the engine compartment, suspending it about 7" above the floor. This arrangement was easy to put together and will provide more heat dissipation. I finished this up this afternoon, as well as running/connecting most of the non-battery cables (fuse/switch/contactor/controller/motor). I have installed 3 of the 4 batteries at this time but the devices to secure the batteries are all in place. I had to leave one out until I mounted the switch, fuse and contactor.

Photo below is prior to any "cable management." I'm hoping to clean things up a bit by securing them to the walls of the compartment. I'm also hopeful that I'll be able to keep the wiring in more of a line than a loop, which would likely cause magnetic interference with the compass on the pedestal (located just a few feet away).

The last photo shows the mounting of the fuse, switch and contactor on the bulkhead of the starboard battery compartment, formerly a gear locker underneath the cockpit seating. The cable extending from the right is going to come off the + on the battery bank. From right to left, we have the fuse, main switch, house battery switch (which also controlled the starting battery, now removed) and contactor/solenoid. From there a cable runs to the controller.

I'll be leaving town for a few days and I'm hoping to have the boat cleaned while I'm gone, leaving just a few more cable connections to make before doing a dry-run test on the motor during the week of July 11.










Engine compartment, or shall I say, motor compartment, with controller installed.










Controller with cover removed.












Forward bulkhead of starboard battery compartment. From right to left: fuse, main switch, house battery switch and contactor/solenoid. The thinner stray wire is from the charger which will connect to the + of the battery bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment