Sunday, July 17, 2011

Shore power

I hooked up the shore power today to top off the battery bank. Even though the battery monitor was showing a 77% charge, the charger indicated somewhere in the low 30s. The manual states this number shouldn't be interpreted as progress to full charge, i.e. it could take 2 hours for it to go from 30% to 40%, then another 2 to get to 100%.

I didn't want to leave it unattended, so my wife, son and I rigged the boat and cleaned it while it was charging. It was plugged in for about 3-1/2 hours and it got up to about 85%. We had finished up everything we needed to do, so I disconnected the power cord and checked the battery monitor. It read 100%--confirming my suspicion that the monitor may not indicate the same charge as the battery charger.

Later,  I returned to the boat and hooked the charger up again. The readout indicated 85% and within 15 minutes it came up to a completed charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment