Friday, June 24, 2011

New Throttle and Control Panel

A few things I was able to start on these past few weeks (Mid-June) was reconfiguring the control panel and making a new throttle housing. The fuel gauge and tach were obviously no longer needed and the system from Electric Yacht included a new ignition switch. Using StarBoard (a HDPE product suitable for marine use) I was able to cover up the old holes from the old components. I wanted to preserve the original appearance of the boat, not adding anything that would look out of place.

For the throttle, I thought it would be best to construct something that would attach to the wheel pedestal without having to drill any holes. I may eventually remove the old throttle and transmission levers, but doing so would leave some holes. Incorporating the new throttle into the existing holes wasn't feasible--the new throttle is larger and much more than just a mechanical lever. Using StarBoard I constructed a box to house the throttle. This may be a temporary setup until I get more comfortable with the system. The box will offer some flexibility until I decide what to do different--if anything.






Old control panel















New panel with battery monitor and new switch














New throttle with housing (front)













New throttle with housing (back)

No comments:

Post a Comment